- Flashcard introduction- Add the word to the pocket chart of flash cards
- White Board-Write it on the white board, saying each letter name as I write it
- Read it- Read the word 3 times whole class
- Spell it- Spell out the word saying each letter together whole class
- Sentence usage-Have students use it in a sentence
- Music/DVD- play or Show Heidi Songs or Have Fun Teaching music or DVD if I have it.
Days 2 through 5
During the rest of the week my students are inundated with sight word activities during center times, when they finish their work and during transitions. Below is a list of what we do and a few product snapshots.
- Flash Cards
- White boards: write it 3 times saying each letter as they write it.
- Sight word searches
- Fluency phrases
- Sight word readers
- PowerPoint presentations slide shows with the sight words each morning during our calendar routine or as we transition to the carpet throughout the day- I'll play the PPT. I can easily mix the slides around so they aren't memorizing the order.
- Play-doh sight words
- Letter bead sight word
- Magnetic letters
- Stamp sight words
What's the PasswordI put this outside my door with a sight word on it. Students read it as they enter the room. This is a Free Download- Just click the picture.
For homework, I send home a sight word fluency homework sheet each night. It really helps my students practice reading their sight words and it only takes a minute or so. As a bonus it shows the parents what words their child is having difficulty reading.
Technology to Help Teach Sight Words
During center times we often use iPads. Here are some apps that are free or inexpensive. Each app has it's pros and cons.
Sight Words by Little Spellers: Lots of options to customize. Drag letters to spell the word.
ABC Sight Word Writing: Students practice tracing/writing the Dolch sight word list.
Sight Word Ninja: Kids love this one. They listen to the word then slice it. Few options to customize.
Sight Word Flash Cards: Great for practicing sight words. Offers different grade levels. This app does have adds at the bottom.
Fry Words: Easy to use and options to customize.
I hope you find these ideas helpful. If you have something else that you do, please share them in the comments below. I'm always looking for new ideas to try out.